Try this new combination of meat and potatoes as a change of pace. Substitute zucchini pasta for the potatoes to make the recipe low carb.
- Prep time: 55 minutes
- Serves: 4.
- Calories: 520. Sodium: 84 mg. Dietary fiber: 7.7 g. Total fat: 20.6 g. Total carbs: 55.6 g. Protein: 23.7 g.
4 cups zucchini or yellow squash noodles, flat cut
1 ½ pounds ground beef or turkey
1 large yellow onion, chopped coarsely
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup dry red wine
2 14 ½ ounce cans “Italian style” diced tomato
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1/3 cup half and half
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the meat, onion, garlic, and carrot. Sauté until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add wine and cook for 3-5 minutes until it evaporates, stirring constantly. Stir in the tomatoes (juice included) the half and half and the Italian seasoning.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan and simmer until the sauce has thickened (about 25 minutes).
- When the sauce is done, ladle it over the zucchini noodles to “cook” them.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese if desired (and not following Paleo).