A dinner staple in most homes, spaghetti and meatballs just received a new twist: this traditional, yet surprisingly delicious version of the sauce is made sous vide! If you don’t have a sous vide appliance, then you can cook this in a large saucepan instead of in the sous vide bath.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced fine
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced fine
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano, chopped fine
- 1 can stewed tomatoes, mashed well
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 package spaghetti pasta
- Shaved parmesan, for garnish
- Preheat a sous vide bath to 140°F.
- Combine pork, beef, egg, bread crumbs, half the onion, half the garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, in a mixing bowl until well-combined.
- Form 8 meatballs, 2 inches wide, with your hands or a small ice cream scoop.
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sear meatballs on all sides; set aside.
- Drain the pan and add the remaining onion.
- Stir in remaining garlic, the tomatoes and juice from the can.
- Salt to taste.
- Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Combine meatballs and sauce in a large vacuum bag and seal.
- Sous vide for 2 hours.
- Prepare spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Top with meatballs and sauce, and garnish with parmesan to serve..
Nutritional Info: Calories: 530 Sodium: 636 mg, Dietary Fiber: 3.2g, Fat: 17.9g, Carbs: 19.8g, Protein: 69.4g