Our first post for the New Year! What’s better than a nice hot soup when the weather cools down? This spicy, tomato-based soup is another international variation of chicken noodle soup. Blast away your runny nose with this healthy dose of sunny Mexico 🙂
2 cups zucchini noodles, spaghetti circles cut
6 cups chicken stock
2 14-oz. cans roasted tomatoes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 large garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 large bunch cilantro, chopped (approximately 1 cup)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 medium carrots, chopped into “coins”
Juice of 2 limes
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. black pepper
- In a large stock pot, heat the onion, carrots, and garlic in the oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the canned tomatoes (juice and all), the chicken stock and the chicken pieces. Bring to a boil and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover. When the chicken is cool, shred it and return it to the pot.
- Add the noodles, the spices, and the line juice. Continue to simmer for another 30 seconds, then remove from heat.
- Serve hot with fresh cilantro garnish!