Salmon and beets are the nutritional equivalent of Superman and Wonder Woman, so pairing them up is like having the Justice League converge on your plate.
1 pound beets (mix red and gold for colorful pasta)
2 6-oz. salmon fillets, preferably wild-caught
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups cauliflower florets
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 ½ tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
- Remove the beet greens and cut the beets down to a size that fits into the Veggetti. Slice the beets into “pasta” strands. Boil for 20 minutes until soft.
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium skillet, then sauté the onion and garlic cloves for 4-6 minutes in coconut oil in a medium pan.
- Steam cauliflower until tender ( usually 5-7 minutes), then put in blender or food processor along with the garlic, onions, cumin, lemon juice and zest, coconut milk, pepper and salt. Process until smooth.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or coat with non-stick spray.
- Mix the mustard powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and sprinkle it over the raw salmon.
- Place the salmon on the treated cookie sheet and bake until the salmon is done (8-10 minutes, depending on thickness of the fillets).
- Pour the spicy cauliflower sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a quick boil.
- To serve, divide “pasta” onto two plates, cover with sauce and top with salmon pieces.