This easy pasta takes a lot less time to prepare than its carb-heavy cousin Moussaka. It can be lightened up even more by using part-skim ricotta.
75 minutes (to roast garlic)
1 large zucchini
¼ large eggplant, diced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
4 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
¼ yellow onion, diced
5 basil leaves, chopped
3 Tbsp. ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Make “pasta” strands out of the zucchini with your Veggetti.
- Wrap 5 peeled garlic cloves in aluminum foil, along with a pinch of salt and a ½ tsp of olive oil. Bake garlic for 40-50 minutes, until browned and soft.
- Sauté the diced eggplant until soft (10-12 minutes) in a large skillet using the other 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Set cooked eggplant aside.
- Using the same pan, combine 2 of the roasted garlic cloves, the diced tomatoes, and the diced onion. Cook for 2-4 minutes, adding more olive oil if necessary.
- Remove from heat and blend into a smooth paste in a food processor.
- Combine the tomato mixture, the remaining garlic, and the pasta and cook over medium heat for another 2-4 minutes.
- Garnish with the ricotta cheese and chopped basil.