This soup features three flavors that define Thai cuisine, coconut, chili, and lime.
½ cup zucchini noodles, spaghetti cut
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk (can use low-fat)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped finely
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 ½ inch piece ginger root, grated
1 Tbsp. lime zest
¼ cup fresh lime juice
4 Tbsp. fish sauce (I use Red Boat)
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 cups baby spinach leaves
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Combine the chicken broth, jalapeno, garlic, ginger, lime juice and zest and 3 Tbsp. fish sauce in a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the noodles and cook for one minute or until tender. Use tongs to remove the noodles. Place in a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms to the simmering broth. Simmer for another four minutes, then add the chicken and the coconut milk.
- Continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the spinach and stir until the leaves get limp, then add the chopped cilantro and remaining tablespoon of fish sauce.
- Divide the cooked noodles into four bowls and pour the soup over the noodles.